Re: Having external control panels in System settings

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Sergey Udaltsov
<sergey udaltsov gmail com> wrote:
> Hi Petko,
>
> Just give up. I tried. They want free software with the closed architecture.
> Paradox. You can do nothing about that . The idea of Gnome OS, the way g-c-c
> reads it, is to control the UI as much as possible. If the price is
> extensibility - they are happy for people to pay it.
>
> So, give up. Seriously.
>
> Sergey

Sergey, with all due respect, I think you're misinterpreting the
situation. The best way we can promote Free Software is by making
products that people want to use. That means making sure that they are
well designed and provide a good experience. That is the only
motivation here.

Remember that distros extending the system settings in a haphazard way
in GNOME 2 resulted in all kinds of pain and seriously undermined the
user experience. We really need to do better this time around.

We actually want distributors to extend GNOME 3, but we want them to
do it in a way that doesn't make the system worse for users. There are
several ways that they can do that. The first and most important is
through applications. Right now we don't have a great deal of guidance
on how they can create apps for GNOME 3, and I think that the
resulting confusion is one factor in this discussion. That's one
reason why I'm working on a new version of the HIG.

There are also plans to have other integration points within the
system settings, such as with the privacy and sharing panel [1] and
with a notifications panel [2].

Allan

[1] https://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings/PrivacyAndSharing

[2] https://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings/Notifications