Re: Having external control panels in System settings

On Tue, 2012-02-07 at 13:15 +0100, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 12:05:08PM +0000, Alberto Ruiz wrote:
<snip>
> > > Note: I do have an nvidia card. I don't think the nvidia stuff belongs
> > > in system settings. Further, I initially disliked the API removal. I've
> > > changed my opinion.
> >
> > wrt that note, I find it really odd that we are so much against the nVidia
> > panel and yet we are writing a wacom tablets panel ourselves.

The nVidia panel should be using the already existing, standard, XRandR
APIs so it can be configured the same way as the Intel, ATI, or whatever
else cards.

As for the Wacom tablets, there's just no other similar hardware from
other vendors. There's the beginning of some support for Fujitsu based
graphics tablets, but not much else 1) available at all 2) available and
usable under Linux.

If there's other hardware we can support with the same UI, we'll
certainly do our best to support it.

> I don't see any similarity between the two. I rather configure nvidia in
> the existing screens. Not have the same stuff in yet another applet.

That's the idea. Same goes for the FireGL control panel from ATI.