Re: System settings layouts (Universal Access proposal)

>> I find that this kind of discussion is more effective on IRC than a
>> mailing list, but we've got a thread here and I'm not able to be
>> online much today (I'm busy fighting a cold!)
>
> Is this because the time requested to write a proper formal email? Isn't
> there the risk that someone misses what said on IRC?

That's certainly a disadvantage of IRC, and that's one reason why it
is important to document design work on the wiki and in the git
repositories.

But IRC is better for design work in my experience (though it is by no
means perfect). There are a few reasons for that, including the
ability to quickly exchange ideas and for other design contributors to
easily jump into a discussion. I also find that the informality of
instant messaging makes it easier to resolve differing opinions
(whereas mailing lists tend to lead people into entrenched positions).

>>  * Can you use whitespace to separate each section rather than
>> dividers (this is standard practice for GNOME design)?
>
> yes. Wouldn't it be a problem is the panel is set to have an height bigger
> than 530px and in case of tiny display it will be scrollable? I think we
> need to find a way to have less packed/stressed UI because we want to
> support in the same way a tiny minority of the screens. This seems to be
> leading to bad UIs (where decisions are made based on the real-estate
> usage).

My suggestion would be to work on the layout some more without
worrying about fitting it in. It might shrink as we work on the
design.

Allan
--
IRC:  aday on irc.gnome.org