Re: System settings layouts (Universal Access proposal)
- From: Allan Day <allanpday gmail com>
- To: Christian Giordano <christian giordano canonical com>
- Cc: gnomecc-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: System settings layouts (Universal Access proposal)
- Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 14:14:44 +0000
Thanks for the mockup, Christian. I agree that the layout of this
panel could be improved. Let me also say that it's great to have
someone contributing design - welcome!
We should set you up with access to the GNOME design repositories 
if you're going to be making more GNOME contributions.
> Horizontal alignment of the switches with the feature header: while the
> offset is there for hierarchical reasons, with the switch widget (with such
> straight lines) looks almost as a bug.
> The description of the feature is too far from the header: ideally should
> almost be between the header and the switch. As it is now looks like an
> introduction to the related options.
> Is not clear where "Turn on accessibility features from the keyboard"
> On Screen Keyboard is a clearer header than Typing Assistant (which is too
I agree with all of this.
> The sliders are too wide: ergonomically speaking, they require too much
> pointer movement and that level of precision is not required (I didn't fix
> this in the quick mock up I did)
Not sure about that. Happy to discuss though.
I find that this kind of discussion is more effective on IRC than a
mailing list, but we've got a thread here and I'm not able to be
online much today (I'm busy fighting a cold!) Overall the design looks
like it is heading in the right direction. Some things that could be
* It would be nicer to have the switches close to the feature headers.
* The positioning of the switches also makes it unclear that they
affect the sensitivity of the controls below
* Can you use whitespace to separate each section rather than
dividers (this is standard practice for GNOME design)?
* The layout feels a bit tightly packed in some areas.
* It is difficult to distinguish the configuration options and the
* Could you use a standard text box for the test area?
Hope that helps,
IRC: aday on irc.gnome.org
] [Thread Prev