Re: Planned "Sound Settings" improvements

[Adding Colin Guthrie to cc]

On 11/16/2011 05:48 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Wed, 2011-11-16 at 17:41 +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
<snip>
Once we start the upstreaming process towards GNOME, we'll base that off
what that is the current development version at that point. We'll make a
Sound Settings version for Ubuntu 12.04 first, and I assume we'll base
that off GNOME 3.2, as the rest of 12.04 will be based off GNOME 3.2.
<snip>
I'm assuming that when we start upstreaming stuff, there might be things
you don't agree with, and if so, that you (or someone else from upstream
GNOME) will then be reasonably helpful - we'll help each other to sort
those things out and fix things up. Does that make sense?

That's not really how working upstream works though.

Other upstreams I've been working with have been reasonably helpful.

If you give me a
huge blob of code just before Ubuntu 12.04 is released and I need to
hand-pick things for GNOME 3.4, it'll probably just sit there in
Bugzilla.

I wonder if Gnome 3.4 is a realistic target here. Colin, do you think we'll have a PulseAudio 2.0 out in time for a new UI to make it into Gnome 3.4, or would Gnome 3.6 be more realistic?

Also, if we're not agreeing on all changes, and we're clear on what parts of the rewrite that are being appreciated and what parts are not, I believe it makes sense for us to make a patch set with those things included that Gnome wants only.

And finally a question:

I tried hard to fit the pixel margins of 675x490 in the mockup. But may
I ask what hardware we're actually targetting here? It seems like most
netbooks [1] are either 800x480, in which case 675x490 won't fit, or
1024x600, in which case there should be plenty of more, at least on the
width side? Or am I missing something?

As I mentioned in:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnomecc-list/2011-October/msg00018.html
the target size is mentioned in:
https://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings#UI_Patterns

"675x530px" though probably below 490px in height to fit on all netbooks
(except the original Asus eeePC, but really).

Yes, both 675x530px and 675x490px is taken from the page you just
quoted. My point is that I don't understand what screen resolution that
would match? On the height it seems to match against 600 pixels of
screen resolution, but according to this page:

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Comparison_of_Netbooks

...all netbooks which have 600 pixels height also have 1024 pixels
width. Which should leave a lot more width to the system settings
application than just 675 pixels. Could explain where the "675" number
comes from?

It's fixed width. It prevents too much dead space, and widgets reflowing
if we had a something resizable. 675 fits on every resolution we
support. Why the exact 675, I don't know though.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic