Re: Planned "Sound Settings" improvements

On 10/25/2011 08:40 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Tue, 2011-10-25 at 20:00 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
<snip>
Btw, just a quick question so I know the limitations: What are the
maximum size (in pixels) of the sound settings dialog? Are we designing
for 1024x768, 800x600 or even less?

https://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings#UI_Patterns

Hi again!

Apart from working on the PulseAudio side, I've made a new mockup, here:

http://people.canonical.com/~diwic/sound-settings/sound_settings_mockup_diwic2.png

Comments about the mockup:

First remember, I'm not a designer (the previous mockup was not made by me), so please don't laugh about left margins not being pixel aligned and such. Also, out of laziness I started off with a screenshot from my current system, so if there's some Ubuntu theming in there, just ignore that. :-)

The names in the left pane is the actual names we get out of PulseAudio today. I'd probably submit a PA patch to remove some of the "Analog" and "Audio" in the names, as I find them mostly superfluous.

Fade will be hidden for profiles with less than four channels and Subwoofer will be hidden if there is no LFE channel.

The "Volume Boost" can be debated until we all fall down dead, I left it out for now as I personally don't think +11 dB fits all. I guess there will be some space available if the debate ends up with implementing it.

And finally a question:

I tried hard to fit the pixel margins of 675x490 in the mockup. But may I ask what hardware we're actually targetting here? It seems like most netbooks [1] are either 800x480, in which case 675x490 won't fit, or 1024x600, in which case there should be plenty of more, at least on the width side? Or am I missing something?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic

[1] https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Comparison_of_Netbooks