Re: Planned "Sound Settings" improvements

On Wed, 2011-11-16 at 17:41 +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
<snip>
> Once we start the upstreaming process towards GNOME, we'll base that off
> what that is the current development version at that point. We'll make a
> Sound Settings version for Ubuntu 12.04 first, and I assume we'll base
> that off GNOME 3.2, as the rest of 12.04 will be based off GNOME 3.2.
<snip>
> I'm assuming that when we start upstreaming stuff, there might be things
> you don't agree with, and if so, that you (or someone else from upstream
> GNOME) will then be reasonably helpful - we'll help each other to sort
> those things out and fix things up. Does that make sense?

That's not really how working upstream works though. If you give me a
huge blob of code just before Ubuntu 12.04 is released and I need to
hand-pick things for GNOME 3.4, it'll probably just sit there in
Bugzilla.

> >> And finally a question:
> >>
> >> I tried hard to fit the pixel margins of 675x490 in the mockup. But may
> >> I ask what hardware we're actually targetting here? It seems like most
> >> netbooks [1] are either 800x480, in which case 675x490 won't fit, or
> >> 1024x600, in which case there should be plenty of more, at least on the
> >> width side? Or am I missing something?
> >
> > As I mentioned in:
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnomecc-list/2011-October/msg00018.html
> > the target size is mentioned in:
> > https://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings#UI_Patterns
> >
> > "675x530px" though probably below 490px in height to fit on all netbooks
> > (except the original Asus eeePC, but really).
>
> Yes, both 675x530px and 675x490px is taken from the page you just
> quoted. My point is that I don't understand what screen resolution that
> would match? On the height it seems to match against 600 pixels of
> screen resolution, but according to this page:
>
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Comparison_of_Netbooks
>
> ...all netbooks which have 600 pixels height also have 1024 pixels
> width. Which should leave a lot more width to the system settings
> application than just 675 pixels. Could explain where the "675" number
> comes from?

It's fixed width. It prevents too much dead space, and widgets reflowing
if we had a something resizable. 675 fits on every resolution we
support. Why the exact 675, I don't know though.