Re: Planned "Sound Settings" improvements

On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 13:22 +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
> [Adding Colin Guthrie to cc]
>
> On 11/16/2011 05:48 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-11-16 at 17:41 +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> Once we start the upstreaming process towards GNOME, we'll base that off
> >> what that is the current development version at that point. We'll make a
> >> Sound Settings version for Ubuntu 12.04 first, and I assume we'll base
> >> that off GNOME 3.2, as the rest of 12.04 will be based off GNOME 3.2.
> > <snip>
> >> I'm assuming that when we start upstreaming stuff, there might be things
> >> you don't agree with, and if so, that you (or someone else from upstream
> >> GNOME) will then be reasonably helpful - we'll help each other to sort
> >> those things out and fix things up. Does that make sense?
> >
> > That's not really how working upstream works though.
>
> Other upstreams I've been working with have been reasonably helpful.

Seems we got somewhat tangled here. I was replying to "I'm assuming that
when we start upstreaming stuff". I don't want to see stuff being
"upstreamed", I'd rather the work be done upstream in the first place.

> > If you give me a
> > huge blob of code just before Ubuntu 12.04 is released and I need to
> > hand-pick things for GNOME 3.4, it'll probably just sit there in
> > Bugzilla.
>
> I wonder if Gnome 3.4 is a realistic target here. Colin, do you think
> we'll have a PulseAudio 2.0 out in time for a new UI to make it into
> Gnome 3.4, or would Gnome 3.6 be more realistic?
>
> Also, if we're not agreeing on all changes, and we're clear on what
> parts of the rewrite that are being appreciated and what parts are not,
> I believe it makes sense for us to make a patch set with those things
> included that Gnome wants only.

3.6 is fine by me as well. But I'd like to see the GNOME code as soon as
it's written, whether in a github/gitorious tree, through a squashed
patch in bugzilla, or a branch in the upstream repo if you have access.
<snip>

Cheers