Re: Map Library

On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 10:54 -0400, Michael Terry wrote:
Hrm.  Well, that's not sufficient for the Ubuntu-designed experience,
which uses autocompletion to allow choosing from several possible
matches.  So I suppose I'll be patching in our geonames code to this new
library.
Right now, it just uses libgweather. What makes you think we can't
change the API for the library though?
Which library? I guess I'm not sure where in the stack we're talking about adding this mutli-answer geonames provider. Not in libgweather; not in geocode-glib from what I understand you've said(?); but certainly we could put it into this new map library.

Is there any interest in that code actually being upstream in the
library itself?  You sound like you have already made all your technical
choices, but perhaps there's room for an alternate solution living
inside the same library.
I think that I'd really like to see some code before we can say what
should and shouldn't be in the library.

Oh, we shipped the code in Ubuntu 11.04.

A geonames-powered GtkEntryCompletion class:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/natty/indicator-datetime/natty/view/head:/src/timezone-completion.c

And the geonames server code that supports it:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-geonames-hackers/ubuntu-geonames/trunk/files

Though I suppose you could just point at the main geonames server too, depending on their terms of use.

I would just have to do a little cleanup and generalization on the Completion class to make it fit for public consumption. And using libgweather for offline mode would be better than its current behavior of just directly using tz data.

-mt