Re: Map Library

On Mon, 2011-05-16 at 14:47 -0400, Michael Terry wrote:
> On 05/16/2011 02:38 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > The problem is that it needs to work even when not online. And if we
> > were, we'd probably want to base the initial selection on the current
> > location (through Geoclue), and get the timezone using geocode-glib.
> >
> > Or make this completely free-form, and look it up using geocode-glib.
> >
> > Both option require a network, and we'd fallback to using the local data
> > from libgweather when not online.
> >
> > Given that geonames is just another geocoding service, using
> > geocode-glib should give us the same thing.
> Does geocode-glib provide population data?  (Or at least sort in a
> meaningful way, which is all we are using that data for.)

No, we only use it for geocoding. So that we'd guess your location
somehow (IP address, visible WiFi networks, GPS device, etc.) and pass
it to geocode-glib. geocode-glib would give us the approximate location,
including TZ information.

Or the user would type "London", and it would guess the location
(including TZ) from that.