Re: Make default

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 10:50 PM, Matthias Clasen
<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Hylke Bons <hylkebons gmail com> wrote:
>> I fully agree with Thomas' arguments. Also, GNOME uses "instant" apply
>> for most of it's preferences (except where they could be disruptive
>> like Screen Resolution). This is a very clear pattern. Instead, we can
>> make sabayon a whole lot better.
>

> Sorry, but that is not the discussion I wanted to have.
>
> I was pointing out that several distros are shipping with various
> 'make default' patches.  'Use sabayon' is not the right answer to that
> situation.

Maybe we need to have a clear description and goal for the control center?
Setting defaults for the all users isn't something i see should be in
there, but that's my view on the control center as it is now.

> And I don't see any conflict between immediate apply and setting
> defaults. Care to explain that ?

I implied that from your suggested solution:

"Maybe the way forward here is to work a UI for this that is more
elegant than just extra buttons. What if we had a button/combobox
combination that would let you select wether to apply locally,
globally or mandatory (of course, only if you have the privileges):

[Apply |v]

where if you click on the rightmost part of the button (the arrow),
you get a popup that lets you choose"

As I see it you want to have an "Apply" button that can change function.

Hylke