Re: Gnome Web Plone Sprint

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 18:00 -0700, Jonathan Wilde wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Sorry for the late-ish response.  I've been busy getting back up to
> speed with my classes after the sprints.
>
> At the sprints, most of my work was centered around applying (cutting,
> pasting, and changing classnames to work with Plone 3 from Christopher
> Warner's code) the existing CSS to the new theme directory that we
> created (which is pretty-much done, but needs some cleanup) and porting
> the Plone 2 templates to Plone 3 viewlets.  The viewlet work is pretty
> much done.
>
> We have a buildout (which I'm pretty sure runs out-of-the-box) at:
> https://svn.plone.org/svn/collective/gnomeweb-plone/trunk/.  The folder
> buildout that we're using is wgo.buildout-dev.  Just bootstrap.py it and
> bin/buildout it and you'll be good to go.
>
> There's still a fair bit of work to do, though.  In general, here's what
> we need to get done:
>
>      1. Cleanup and consolidation of stylesheets (remove !importants
>         that I added during development and get rid of default Plone
>         styles whenever possible).
>      2. Making portlets look more GNOME-ish and less Plone-ish
>      3. Styling of the secondary sidebar navigation.  There's some code
>         that displays the secondary navigation as a portlet.  Right now,
>         that portlet would need to get ported from Plone 2 to Plone 3.
>         In Plone 3, the navigation portlet appears to be able to be
>         customized (through the GUI) to do exactly what that code did.
>         We may be able to cut development time by doing that.
>      4. Creating a custom homepage view that displays the RSS feeds.
>      5. Switching to a tableless layout.  Plone 3 uses a table-based
>         layout now.  To maintain code continuity with the current GNOME
>         site and improve the site's semantic-ness, we should probably
>         make the layout tableless.  Luckily, there's
>         http://plone.org/products/plone-tableless which accomplishes
>         that.  A few members of the OOTB Plone Themes project have
>         reported success with using the page templates from this theme
>         in their own custom themes.

Thanks.

Which of these are regressions compared to the Plone 2 version that was
running on a test site once? I realise that you'll have to guess the
answer (based on your understanding of Plone 2 & 3) because you probably
never saw that site.

>      6. Public test server, beta testing, etc.

This is essential for us to even think about any planning beyond this.

> Here's my recommendations on how to finish up those tasks as fast as
> possible:
>
>      1. Create a publicly-visible task list of what needs to get done.
>         We could use http://bugzilla.gnome.org/ or another hosted
>         service, such as Remember the Milk.

There's no reason to use anything other than bugzilla.gnome.org or
live.gnome.org.

We had already been using the "beta" version in the website product in
bugzilla, with the Plone 2 site. Most of those bugs are probalby not
worth worrying about until the Plone 3 site is up and running. Again,
nothing should distract from getting that running - please don't
distract yourselves with attempts to add new features or improvements.

To file a new bug:
http://tinyurl.com/34orvh

All open beta bugs:
http://tinyurl.com/32e8d2