Re: Gnome Web Plone Sprint

Hi!

Sorry for the late-ish response.  I've been busy getting back up to
speed with my classes after the sprints.

At the sprints, most of my work was centered around applying (cutting,
pasting, and changing classnames to work with Plone 3 from Christopher
Warner's code) the existing CSS to the new theme directory that we
created (which is pretty-much done, but needs some cleanup) and porting
the Plone 2 templates to Plone 3 viewlets.  The viewlet work is pretty
much done.

We have a buildout (which I'm pretty sure runs out-of-the-box) at:
https://svn.plone.org/svn/collective/gnomeweb-plone/trunk/.  The folder
buildout that we're using is wgo.buildout-dev.  Just bootstrap.py it and
bin/buildout it and you'll be good to go.

There's still a fair bit of work to do, though.  In general, here's what
we need to get done:

     1. Cleanup and consolidation of stylesheets (remove !importants
        that I added during development and get rid of default Plone
        styles whenever possible).
     2. Making portlets look more GNOME-ish and less Plone-ish
     3. Styling of the secondary sidebar navigation.  There's some code
        that displays the secondary navigation as a portlet.  Right now,
        that portlet would need to get ported from Plone 2 to Plone 3.
        In Plone 3, the navigation portlet appears to be able to be
        customized (through the GUI) to do exactly what that code did.
        We may be able to cut development time by doing that.
     4. Creating a custom homepage view that displays the RSS feeds.
     5. Switching to a tableless layout.  Plone 3 uses a table-based
        layout now.  To maintain code continuity with the current GNOME
        site and improve the site's semantic-ness, we should probably
        make the layout tableless.  Luckily, there's
        http://plone.org/products/plone-tableless which accomplishes
        that.  A few members of the OOTB Plone Themes project have
        reported success with using the page templates from this theme
        in their own custom themes.
     6. Public test server, beta testing, etc.

Here's my recommendations on how to finish up those tasks as fast as
possible:

     1. Create a publicly-visible task list of what needs to get done.
        We could use http://bugzilla.gnome.org/ or another hosted
        service, such as Remember the Milk.
     2. Create a list of everything that needs to get done before
        launch.  To make it easy for others to participate, we should
        make them very specific.  ("Style the navigation portlet
        according to the styling in the mockup at ..." rather than
        "Finish CSS")
     3. Come up with an estimate for how long each task will take.
     4. Claim tasks.  Try to complete tasks within the time estimate.
        This makes it easier to keep track of who's working on what and
        how far along they are.

What are your thoughts on this?  Did I leave anything out?  Do you think
a public task list would be helpful for coordinating our efforts?

Cheers!
Jonathan