Re: library.gnome.org index

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 11:26:22PM +0200, Frederic Peters wrote:
> Olav Vitters wrote:
>
> > I didn't try it yet. I wanted to integrate it within libgo itself.
> > Meaning, in the file indexutils.py. Haven't found the time yet. I did
> > change a few other libgo things (and broke some stuff due to that --
> > still investigating where I introduced the bug). E.g. use os.path.join,
> > etc.
>
> I spent some time within libgo source code but it looks overcomplicated
> and not bandwidth friendly, I fixed a few things, hardcoded other ones

I do not care much about bandwidth friendly. It is not that important as
it is intended to run on the server where bandwidth is not a big problem.

Perhaps an integration with jhbuild wouldn't be so bad, but then jhbuild
would *need* a special target for libgo. However, currently I'd rather
work with this a little bit further. Pretty close to at least having a
site good enough for gnome-doc-utils documents.

> as to avoid network usage (such as ['2.18'] in __liststable method) but
> I am thinking about giving up and going through jhbuild instead.

How does 2.18 cause network usage? Or do you mean that it wasn't
indexed? That has since been fixed.

> Basically, listing http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/teams/releng/ then
> iterating over directories and
>   jhbuild -m http://.../gnome-x.y.z.modules update meta-gnome-desktop
> since this is oh frustrating to walk through libgo code with little hope
> to finally reach indexutils.create_indexes().

Perhaps. But note that there isn't an infinite amount of diskspace on
the server. I do not want every GNOME tarball sitting unpacked on the
server.

> /* putting frustration to rest */
>
> Attached patch does the following:
>
>  - replaced indexutils.py by my generate_index.py, with a create_indexes
>    function as entry point, so it matches the previous indexutils.py and
>    works when called at the end of libgo
>
>  - indexutils.py can also be run standalone, so it is actually usable by
>    me :)
>
>  - added three .html.en files to skin/, for top, header, and footer of
>    indexes files.

Thanks. I want to reuse the locator/common/header.xsl. I'm doing that
(slowly) now. E.g. make XML file and transpose that to HTML, while
reusing header.xsl.

--
Regards,
Olav