Re: [wgo] i18n interface

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 03:30:15 -0800, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:

Guessing URLs is not a very fruitful thing to be doing anyway.

How else will people link to specific translations? Guessing URLs by
changing en to de is possibly not ideal, but at least it's possible.
Guessing a translation, in a language I don't speak, is impossible.

By using the language selector and choosing the language? When you select the language, you will be redirected to the right document, no need to guess at the URL. That's how it works at the moment.

The upside is that the translated URLs will give you better Google results
in that language.

Surely Google examines the _content_. Is there any evidence that Google
puts much weight on human-readable words that appear in URLs?

I'll restrain myself from pulling out the "I work at Google" card... ;)

Yes.

If you go to any of the big news sites, notice how a lot of them have started doing ugly hacks like:

http://news.com.com/Dell+delays+earnings+results+HP+on+for+Thursday/2100-1014_3-6136021.html?tag=nefd.lede

which is just inserting stuff that is ignored by the server application in the URL, the actual URL to the page is:

http://news.com.com/2100-1014_3-6136021.html

Let me be clear, I'm totally against this kind of hack. It's not well
defined or easily understandable and it won't work in the real world.

It works pretty well for the companies and organizations we have deployed it for (Oxfam among others).

This stuff should be deterministic.

Your opinion has been noted. Being new to GNOME, I don't really know the decision structure, but I'll let others with opinions chime in if they want.

The default URL behaviour in LinguaPlone is to translate the URLs too (based on the document title, normally), but since we're likely to do some adjustments and add some policies to help WGO get what they need, adding support for keeping the URL always in English shouldn't be hard. Thanks for your feedback and opinion to make LinguaPlone better.

     Alexander Limi � Chief Architect � Plone Solutions � Norway

 Consulting � Training � Development � http://www.plonesolutions.com

      Plone Co-Founder � http://plone.org � Connecting Content
  Plone Foundation � http://plone.org/foundation � Protecting Plone