Re: [wgo] i18n interface

On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 18:32 -0800, Alexander Limi wrote:
[snip[
> We can do that, the bigger question is whether you want to translate the
> actual URL fragments too. By default, LinguaPlone will do the following:
>
> English original URL:
>
> - http://site.tld/products/my-products
>
> German translation:
>
> - http://site.tld/de/produkte/meine-produkte
>
> Language code is optional, but since you wanted it, I included it in my
> example. The German URL could just as easily have been:
>
> - http://site.tld/produkte/meine-produkte

That's a) unclear and b) allows conflicts with languages/locales that
just happen to have the same translation for that small part of the
text.

> I guess my question is that we need to know if you prefer the German URL
> to *only* differ from the original URL by language code, like this:
>
> - http://site.tld/de/products/my-products

Yes, I personally think that translating URLs would be a disaster. As
well as being generally confusing it would mean that
a) The URL of translated versions of pages would change when the
translation changes, breaking the unchanging URL rule.
b) It would not be easy to guess the URL of translated versions based on
the English original.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com