Re: The future of gup in developer and bugzilla

2006/2/10, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org>:

If MoinMoin is capable of everything I think we should have,
then I apologize for misrepresenting it.  Having plugins and
such to manage different types of pages differently sounds to
me like what content management systems do, whereas wikis have
traditionally simply presented the same shorthand syntax stuff
for every single page.

I am sure that MoinMoin project could help in developing the needed plugins if somebody would define what is needed.

What I strongly oppose is using different systems for every
single subsite.  ...  Using a single system for as many of
our subsites as possible makes it easier for people to work
on web stuff.  It also makes it easier for us to maintain
consistent navigation across all pages, which we really must
try to do.

Well on the opposite I would strngly oppose to only use a singe system. The problem with that is the same with the All-In-One-Printers: If one system gets broken, eberything is broken. And by choosing different systems that should interact, different parts can develope quicker than others. This is one reason why Xorg is not monolithic. Maybe what you really want are systems that can easily communicate and look similar? The new MoinMoin for example has redefined authentication, so that you can use logins from other systems and do not have to login again

everywhere: All pages on all subsites should have the same
header, presenting unified global navigation.

oh, communism. ;-) I would rather say we have different locations with different uses. Good stuff can be copied. Like Drupal as a basis or MoinMoin wiki. I do not see the need for the "one for all".

www: We need largely static pages that are rich in content,
attractive, well-organized, and easy to update.

Why static? We need to inform users about the newest things. People only visit interesting pages. intersting pages have something new to tell. I thin gnome.org is there to tell people what is going on in GNOME land. not about every bit, but the major developments.

developer: We need the same as for www.  Remember, we need
pages that cater to ISDs, as well as the sort of scratch
pages we need for internal development.

I would expect developer pages being able to support developers. That means: Inform newcomers how they can contribute, developers to log in and just work on things quickly, have the ability to quckly change pages without asking an admin, reflecting the current status of development.

status: The documentation and translation teams have had
discussions about creating a unified status site providing
the translation statistics, the documentation status, and
anything else we might want to show.  This requires build
scripts and lots of CVS checkouts in the background.

How about using Rosetta at Launchpad?

Thilo

--
http://vinci.wordpress.com