Re: The future of gup in developer and bugzilla

2006/2/9, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org>:
MoinMoin Wiki, at least, has only a very primitive concept of
heirarchical nodes.  I don't see any way of putting pages under
particular sections and having global navigation automatically
provided based on those sections.

Hi Shaun, I have to jump in here, because I am slo active in the MoinMoin wiki project.

You can als have better navigation with MoinMoin (new theme, quick links). The problem with the live wiki is, that it is VERY outdated. The version 1.2.3 is from july 2004. MoinMoin is now at 1.5.1. Before this were the 1.3.x versions. This would mean to choose GNOME 2.6 today , where we nearly have GNOME 2.14. Another project using MoinMoin is Fedora: http://www.fedoraproject.org. There you can see how much you can make of a MoinMoin wiki, although it is already outdated.

A good point in MoinMoin is, that it is easily extendable with plugins and it is written in Python and it is being highly actively developed. That means that GNOME can very easy add all functionally it likes to have. I think GNOME has many good Python programmers.

 A CMS gives you all the same advantages of a wiki, plus
it provides tools for consistent navigation and allows certain
pages or subsections to be built using tools more appropriate
for their particularly needs.

The wiki technology MoinMoin presents is hardly used (categories for example). The good thing about wikis is, that they do not limit you in any way, but a CMS does. A CMS is good if you want to do 2-3 things. A wiki is better if you do not know what future will bring. I would vote for a live wiki as a background for many projects and to have specific sites like www.gnome.org that use other technology.

I do agree though that the current use and installation of the wiki will not suffice for future needs. But that's what I am talking about for seven months now. There are about 20-30 issues I guess that should be solved soon.

Thilo

--
http://vinci.wordpress.com