Re: Request to the board (proposal)

2006/2/9, Quim Gil <qgil desdeamericaconamor org>:

We have a plan at http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb .

I would like to comment on the goals which are:

Easy Navigation , Easy Modification , Enable the use of multiple languages , Access for disabled people (eg. Blind, Color Blind, etc.)

I would not call these goals. these are technical requirements. I would call goals somethink like:

* inform users about GNOME
* give journalists information about GNOME
* help the community to communicate better
* ...

I would like to warn that if one declares goals often you get what you want (hopefully), BUT you might not have the right goals. I would say I can live with a site that has bad navigation if it helps us communicating to the community and those interested in GNOME. Sure, i also would say that easy navigation would help a LOT. But I also would say ifg all these goals that are in the plan are accomplished, nothing would be accomplished for GNOME.

 We would have a web site tehat is easy to navigate, allows easy navigation,... but maybe has no content that interestes anybody. todays web site has mainly a content, not a navigational problem. I just wrote about that on the new freedesktop-promo list. Take the contact page at: http://www.gnome.org/contact/ . This is a mess from my perspective for years. It could be made better in minutes. I don't really know why this all takes so long? I sometimes have the impression that the technolgy, the software is more in the focus as the message itself.

I think Drupal will be a good choice and it is better to make a choice soon, than again to wait. I think  nearly everything will be better than what we have now.

Thilo

--
http://vinci.wordpress.com