Re: The future of gup in developer and bugzilla

This comes from the Usability list.

En/na Shaun McCance ha escrit:

> For the record, I'm pretty much completely opposed to relying on
> live.gnome.org for any real public-facing stuff.  For internal
> planning and sketching, fine.  But it's a wasteland of broken
> navigation.  Why should half our site look and feel different
> than the rest?

I agree with this distinction between "public-facing stuff" and
"internal planning and sketching".

> Get a single CMS in place and put everything you can under it,
> including all the current developer.gnome.org content.  With a
> good CMS, we have all the advantages of a wiki anyway, and the
> site will feel unified.

I've been doublecheking that the functionality suggested/required in our
revamp discussion can be handled by Drupal, and this CMS can handle
without a problem the functionality present at dgo.

Maybe there are excepcions. If you thing you've got one please show it.

> library.gnome.org really needs to happen.  We need a strapping
> young lad (or lass) to come and take charge, like Quim has done
> so well with the rest of the web space.

lgo can be integrated to the revamp process. We only need someone
knowing how lgo should be and willing to make it happen (the same need
we have for the rest of the web space).

About generating PDF from submitted content, all I can say is that
Drupal has some capabilities. It seems this is not enough for our needs.
Then the options are, I think, very simple and it's a matter of choosing
the right one:

- Keep the current way of solving this problem if it's satisfactory.

If it's not satisfactory, evaluate what is more suitable:

- Invest our time improving the current functionality.

- Invest our time improving Drupal's functionality, contributing the
patches and new developments upstream.

It might look like I ave an obsession with Drupal. In fact my
pre.obsession is to move the revamp forward, I think Drupal can be of
big help even if it won't solve all the problems (because no alternative
tool will solve them all either).

Shaun, Calum and others interested in DocBook, XSLT, PDF conversions.
Could you please have a look to these links to see if they would be of
any interest for us? If you have specific questions I can ask there.
BTW, the DocBook/PDF man there is  Djun Kim - puregin -
http://drupal.org/user/9170

Book: collaborative document publishing (mentions DocBook / OPML
functionality)
http://drupal.org/handbook/modules/book

Pdfview (just works for single pages)
http://drupal.org/project/pdfview