RE: localization of GNOME.org

Quoting Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com>:

If we already had a working solution then we'd probably be using it.
From my point of view this looks like a task of "putting things together", even if gnome.org ist a quite a large "bit" and making the whole thing "work" may be
time consuming: There are tools out there already, which "only" have to be
combined in a genious way. What do you think of something like the following
workflow:

- An author creates/modifies an "original" web page
- xml2po geneates/updates .po files for all supported languages
- translated pages (if already available) indicate: "the source page has been
updated, please update the translation, too" (Debian does something like this)
- translators update .po files; if an updated .po file gets commited, xml2po is
triggered, to generate the translated web page

There also seem to be tools to show the number of localized strings in .po files
(the translation project page does this), so it shouldn't be a huge problem to
make these tools count translated pages.

Murray, is this the way you think the translation process should work?

And btw., I prsonally won't use any client-side scripting for language
detection; this could be easily handled by the web server.

Stefan