Re: main page

On ศ., 2005-12-02 at 10:06 -0600, Richard Hoelscher wrote:
> Thomas Wood said:
> >> IMveryHO GNOME should not get into this games, as the international and
> >> multicultural project that is. Christmas is an originally Christian
> >> celebration convered into a huge ad campaign that might get confused as
> >> a global phenomenon but it's not.
> > That's why I suggested "Seasons Greetings" rather than "Merry Christmas".
> > However, I understand these concerns, so perhaps instead the next splash
> > could be an internationalisation one, to celebrate GNOME's multicultural
> > outreach. :-)
>
> We just missed World AIDS Day yesterday, would have been a great time to
> align ourselves with a true multicultural outreach, including everyone
> from Whoopi to Tom Hanks to Nelson Mandella... Yes, folks, we all have
> AIDS. -http://www.weallhaveaids.com/
>
> Or maybe not. Using GNOME for social good campaigns (beyond delivering an
> awesome desktop) is always bound to be a double edged sword... I never
> really cared for the blackout and anti-patent-in-europe campaigns myself.

If people go to the main page, they are looking for information
pertaining to GNOME. If we filled up the main page adverts for every
event or cause known to mankind, that's less space for information
pertaining to GNOME. We'd be doing out visitors a mis-service. Let's
just stick to main purpose of the page - information about GNOME.

--
Ross