Re: The "What is GNOME?" Answer

<quote who="Steve Hall">

> > That's just copping out. It has to be done, because people WILL ASK
> > "What is GNOME?" and we must have an answer. This forms part of our
> > elevator pitch.
>
> No way. What is Apple? What is Microsoft? What is Sun?

Far out, dude. They are very, very well understood market forces. We are
not. Also, you're focusing on company names, not product names. GNOME is in
the interesting position of being both.

> Good marketing doesn't try to summarize with technicalities! We can't
> limit ourselves like that. It's about attitude.

I get the distinct impression that you're talking out of your arse.

> > Sure. GNOME is not just a product, but a project, and that needs to be
> > part of the answer, but again... This is by no means related to the
> > website.
>
> It's not? I was thinking the website was about the project.

The question posed had absolutely nothing to do with the website. Perhaps
you should go back and read the original mail.

> > Now that this part of the thread has been de-CCed from marketing-list,
> > let's let it die. :-)
>
> Didn't see a marketing list cc'd. (Was that a joke?)

No, it wasn't. This is a marketing issue, and the important list in this
equation is marketing-list, not gnome-web-list. Again, read the original
mail.

       "So I'll have to talk about what I know instead. If you are so
     inclined, you may infer that I am totally oblivious to anything I
                   don't talk about today." - Larry Wall