Re: The "What is GNOME?" Answer

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 00:06, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Steve Hall">
>
> > > Whoa, dude, come on - this has nothing to do with the website!
> >
> > Sure it does, we're trying to come up with the do-all, be-all description
> > for the mega-singular splash paragraph, and I'm saying it can't be done
> > because the audience is too broad.
>
> That's just copping out. It has to be done, because people WILL ASK "What is
> GNOME?" and we must have an answer. This forms part of our elevator pitch.

No way. What is Apple? What is Microsoft? What is Sun?

IMO, Apple is: cool. It's not an operating system. It's not hardware.
It's not a music distribution system. Well, they have that, yeah. But
they have those cool gel graphics that everybody's been copying for
years. And they have cool commercials. Their computers look cool. iPods
are neato. And iMacs. They also have cool fonts. And they like schools.

[Note to the reader: Please substitute "gnarly", "crunchy" or whatever
word you wish from your generation's vocabulary for "cool" above.]

Good marketing doesn't try to summarize with technicalities! We can't
limit ourselves like that. It's about attitude.

> > We stop being technically descriptive of ourselves and we start expressing
> > the wild vitality that GNOME is.
>
> Sure. GNOME is not just a product, but a project, and that needs to be part
> of the answer, but again... This is by no means related to the website.

It's not? I was thinking the website was about the project.

> Now
> that this part of the thread has been de-CCed from marketing-list, let's let
> it die. :-)

Didn't see a marketing list cc'd. (Was that a joke?)

Indeed it will have to die here for me, I'm after midnight.

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]