Re: How can I help?

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 23:18, Martin Alderson wrote:
> Thanks very much for the full guide there. I wouldn't of been able to
> start without that help.
>
> I'm currently checking out the code.
>
> A could of issues that someone could clarify for me:
>
> a) How often do I need to checkout CVS so I don't have conflicts when I
> submit my code back via bugzilla or whatever?

Run 'cvs up' at the top of the tree to recursively get the latest
changes from the repository.  I run update every at the start of every
session I make changes.  Be sure to re-make the the site to see the new
changes.

If by chance you made a change to a file that was updated, you may see a
'C' preceding the file in the report, indicating that you have a
conflict.  It's rare.  you will see will find notes in the file
indicating the conflict:

<<<<<< test.html
Curtis put this here
======
Martin put this here
>>> 1.2

In such a situation, you must either reconcile the line, and force
commit; or delete the file, update, then edit the file CVS put back.

> b) Is CVS mildly intelligent, that is will it only update files that
> have changed since I've last checked out?

CVS is your friend.  The 'C' in CVS is 'Concurrent'.  You can I can
change the same file and submit within minutes of each other, CVS will
often be able to reconcile our changes if one of us was working with an
old copy.  Only in cases where both of us changed the same line and
characters will CVS report a conflict.

> The reason I'm asking is even on my DSL connection it takes quite some
> time to check out the code.

A large module can take some time to checkout.  The -z3 option will
help.

You may find some additional documentation, and possibly some cool OSX
tools at www.cvshome.org.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.