Re: How can I help?

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 09:47, Martin Alderson wrote:
> On 6 Apr 2004, at 04:33, Curtis Hovey wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2004-04-04 at 14:20, Martin Alderson wrote:
> >> I'd like to help the GNOME website. I can design graphics, design
> >> layouts using semantic HTML and CSS and also I'm pretty flient at
> >> using
> >> Apache + PHP and some variant of SQL (mySQL/SQLite).
> >
> > There are a lot of easy tasks that you can do to get familiar with the
> > code.  Checkout the gnomeweb-wml and web-devel-2 modules.  The README
> > in
> > gnomeweb-wml has an introduction to setting up you local environment to
> > make changes.  Please submit your patches (diffs) to bugzilla, (sending
> > and email to this list will also help get the word out to someone who
> > can commmit you patch).  If you have questions can catch someone in
> > #webhackers on irc or send a message this list.
>
> Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit unsure to how to use CVS, so if you
> could run me through how I would check it out I'd be happy.

The GNOME primer on CVS will help you
http://developer.gnome.org/tools/cvs.html
It covers how to make and apply patches too.

checkout gnomeweb-wml after you do anonymous login
cvs -z3 co gnomeweb-wml

Read the gnomeweb-wml/README file for specifics about how to configure
your web server and generate the site.  See below for some OSX tips that
differ from the README instructions.

You will also want prepare-ChangeLog.pl
http://developer.gnome.org/tools/scripts.html
to help you catalog your changes. After you download it, make it
executable.  Run the script from the Terminal from the top the module.

> PS: I'm running on Mac OSX 10.3 and Fedora Core 2 Test 2, if that makes
> any difference.

Setting up apache is a little different on OSX than it is in the
instructions the the gnomeweb-wml/README file:

Instead of editing you /etc/hosts file
     1. Open NetInfo Manager (in Applications::Utilities) and browse to
        /machines/localhost.
     2. Click on the lock, and enter your password so that you can make
        changes.
     3. Duplicate "localhost" (Edit::Duplicate)
     4. Select "localhost copy" and then select the name property in the
        lower window
     5. Change the value of "name" from localhost to whatever your
        development site will be (like wgo from the README examples).
     6. Click on one of the other directories in the list, and you will
        be asked if you want to save your changes. Save them!

Edit the httpd.conf file as described in README.  If you don't like
using pico or emacs, issue this command from the Terminal (in
Applications::Utilities):

    sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit
/etc/httpd/httpd.conf

Restart apache
System Preferences::Sharing::Personal Web Sharing

> I'll have a go at sorting out those links if I can get it checked out.

I haven't used a Mac to do Web development in 5 years, but I recall
BBEdit with great fondness.  It had superb multi-file find and replace
that permitted Regular Expressions--perfect to do mass replacements of
urls.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.