Re: Status and whats the staus?

From: "Jeff Waugh" <jdub perkypants org>
> <quote who="Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller">
>
> > Not sure if we have had any real movement on the new site design
> > recently, digitect do you have an update for us?
>
> I've been feeding him some (controversial) requirements as I've been
working
> on the architecture.

Horse pill size, no less. Heh, in actuality, Jeff made three requests
that I'm still trying to incorporate:

1. Make a separate HTML/CSS template for Netscape -- While it's true
that I've spent a lot of time making the current HTML template work for
Netscape (no I am *still* not addicted) I will concede that a
table-ified template would be more stable and easier to maintain for
most except myself. ;)

    The one minor frustration I have with this approach is that it will
require two sets of graphics. Frankly, this two-template/graphics
strategy is going to be quite a headache for a volunteer-grade
maintainers until we drop Netscape 4 support, but agree that it is
probably the most workable approach to ensure stability and flexibility
for diverse content.

2. Place the search box in the upper right corner of the page -- While
I'm sure this request comes in the interest of usability (based on some
kind of study recommending all search boxes in the upper right or
something) I am completely opposed to cluttering up the top menu image
with a big non-transparent input square. Perhaps it could then go just
below, but then it will need some kind of integrating color swath so
that it doesn't just float there. Which means the beaded color stripe no
longer slices across the top as cleanly. Etc. I'm still thinking about
how to make this work, perhaps even by commandeering the top of the
floating headline bar. Or something. Any other ideas?

3. Relocate the foot completely into the top nav bar -- Frankly, I'm not
sure if I understood this last one correctly, so I'm probably not
restating it right and won't comment on it further until Jeff clarifies.

And that's the news from here.

Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]