Re: Status and whats the staus?

<quote who="Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller">

> > > The first issue might not really be a Squishdot problem, but the
> > > updating of story headlines to www.gnome.org often fails in the sense
> > > that the headlines disapear from the frontpage.
> >
> > This is probably not a huge priority, Gnotices (in its current form)
> > will disappear at some stage.
>
> Why? I mean do we really have something objectivly better available or is
> this just one of those endles php vs. python discussions resurfacing?

A fully integrated news feed that lets all of the various sub-feeds flow
into the main news system. Thus, everything from the GUP area to the
Foundation site can have news feeds that optionally display on the main
area. It happens to take away Zope, which has been a real frustration on the
servers, and hasn't scaled to GNOME's needs.

It's not a religious issue (I don't even like PHP, but can see that it's
sensible to use it), and I'm disappointed to see that as your initial
reaction.

> > Part of the new news system does this, but I'll have a look at the code
> > already in CVS. Whereabouts is it?
>
> It is just  a static webpage

Oh. Well, I'm most of the way there anyway. ;)

> > > We also still need a search engine set up on www.gnome.org.
> >
> > Is this a huge priority if we're basically going to pull it all out and
> > start again anyway?
>
> Yes, we need searching before, during and after the updates. And judging by our
> current rate of website updating I don't think waiting for 'something'
> is a winner.

If someone wants to implement a search system on the current site, that
would be great. But it seems like a waste of time to me (mostly the reason
you don't see me doing it already).

   "There, I did it... I defiled a timeless piece of ART!" - Jim Carrey,
                          covering I Am The Walrus