Re: My stab at the templates

On 14 Jun 2001 21:59:45 -0500, Steve Fox wrote:
> On 14 Jun 2001 12:16:28 -0500, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
>> As I wrote in a mail I think I sent just to someone on the list, not to
>> the list itself, I've been turning the design into an HTML4/CSS2 layout
>> this week, and it's just about completely done (it'd been a while since
>> I did CSS, so there might be some strangeness still left in the
>> stylesheet). It also uses all PNG files, validates completely, and is
>> extremely lightweight (with an externalized stylesheet, the template
>> information is not more than a kilobyte).

> Excellent! I wasn't sure anyone had anything brewing yet. I'm all for
> desigining a website for the future (HTML4/CSS2). As a GNU project, we
> should definitely go PNG all the way.

Yes. In addition, creating a clean implementation like this is quite
useful as a yardstick for more hacky browser-specific implementations
later.

>> I haven't turned it into a PHP template yet, so I'll look at using your
>> code to do that this weekend. At that point, I'll also implement some
>> simple browser detection that'll send the HTML3.2 version to 4.x
>> browsers and older, and the HTML4 version to newer browsers.

> If we plan to do support crusty browsers, we will definitely have a
> problem with PNG files on Netscape 4.x since it doesn't do transparency.
> Know of a way around that?

I thought Netscape 4.x did 1-bit transparency for PNGs. If not, we'll
have to come up with something. Of course, if it isn't unusable with no
transparency (even though it might look a bit suboptimal) we might just
declare that acceptable. Netscape 4.x is bad, proprietary software which
we really shouldn't support. The only people using it anymore are Unix
people, and those should be rolling out Mozilla as we speak.

--
   Joakim Ziegler - Ximian Web Monkey - joakim ximian com - Radagast IRC
 FIX sysop - Free Software Coder - Writer - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer