Re: My stab at the templates

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 11:29:00PM -0400, gnome-web-list-request gnome org wrote:
> Actually, you should find out if they use one of the standard PHP
> template engines, and if so how to set it up properly.  If not, can
> their template engine be ripped out of their code?

Just to throw in my 2 cents: Smarty
(www.phpinsider.com/php/code/Smarty/) is a very nice template engine
with a lot of features. The 'default' downloadable edition does not have
translation support, but I hacked a home-brew translation system into it
(that was very easy) - I send a patch to the smarty list a few months
ago, have a look at it if you are interested/have spare time. We could
very easily change Smarty to use gettext. The good thing is that Smarty
'compiles' templates into real php scripts; these scripts are then
stored in files and will be used for all further requests of that page.
This would mean that the translation of the strings would only have to
be done once (so literally *no* overhead).

For what it's worth, we use php on a site in 6 languages that gets 11
million+ hits a day, and the translation part is very easy. We don't use
gettext (we have our own routines and tools), but using it would not be
hard at all, and it would be nice as all translators know how to use it.

Someone also mentioned PHPnuke: I'd say, beware of PHPnuke - the code is
horrible (at least it was 3 months ago, maybe they fixed it since the
author is now paid by Mandrake to work on it).

cheers,

roel

--
"My boss says we need some eunuch programmers"