Re: initial structure ideas

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 07:17:22AM +0500, Ryan Muldoon wrote:
> Quick structure proposal:

> Main site
> -->project information
> -->information on free software (link to fsf)
> -->friendly links to other sections

> -developer.gnome.org
> -->tutorials
> -->whitepapers
> -->reference docs
> -->cvs stuff (bonsai, lxr, etc)
> -->project of the week (HP's former weekly list of quick projects)
> -->gnome roadmap
> -->translation info
> -->IRC info

> -projects.gnome.org
> -->documentation project
> -->ui hitsquad
> -->gnome sound project
> -->whatever other projects are being hosted by gnome

> -software.gnome.org
> -->hosted gnome app websites
> -->application list, broken down by category
> -->new gnome software announcements
> -->new gtk software (?)

> -news.gnome.org
> -->some kind of web-board system like gnotices

> -foundation.gnome.org
> -->foundation meeting minutes
> -->board members, with contact info
> -->advisory board info
> -->application form for membership
> -->charter

> -mail.gnome.org
> -->list of public mailing lists, and archives
> -->improved search interface

> -people.gnome.org
> -->list of developers, by region
> -->interviews with developers? (Is this still happening?)

> -users.gnome.org  (needs a better name)
> -->how to get gnome
> -->screenshots of gnome in action
> -->frequently asked questions (for users)
> -->link to themes.org for gtk and sawfish
> -->gnome user's guide

> -bugs.gnome.org
> -->bugzilla system
> -->nice bug reporting assistant (like Eazel's)

This is a good hierarchy. I took the liberty of inserting some blank lines to
make it a little more readable, but other than that, I've left it alone.
There might be additions necessary, but in general, this hierarchy sounds
good to me.

I have a few ideas about features and things for specific parts of this, but
I'll wait a little bit before I throw that in.

>From a user/task analysis perspective, I think a lot of this makes sense. The
user groups I see coming to www.gnome.org are the following:

1) Windows/new Linux user who's heard about GNOME in the mainstream media
   (we're getting a lot of mainstream attention these days). This user
   doesn't know much about free software, nor GNOME.

   Tasks for this user:

	 -> Learn what free software is.
   -> Learn what GNOME is.
   -> Figure out what's needed to get and install GNOME.

2) Experienced Linux/Unix user who's heard about GNOME from a geek news
	 source. This user might be running a plain window manager right now, or
   might be a KDE user.

   Task for this user:

   -> Learn why GNOME is the best Unix desktop environment.
   -> Quick and simple download and install instructions.
   -> Figure out how to get software to perform specific tasks the user needs.

3) Experienced GNOME user who wants to check out what's new.

   Tasks for this user:

   -> Find GNOME software to perform specific tasks.
   -> Find out why GNOME is still the best choice (comfort them in knowing
	    they made the right choice when installing GNOME)
   -> Find out what new GNOME software is available.

4) Ex-windows developer who want to get started with GNOME,

   Tasks for this user:

	 -> Learn what free software is.
   -> Learn what GNOME is.
   -> Learn about the advantages of the GNOME development platform.
   -> Figure out what's needed to get and install GNOME.
   -> Access developer tutorials.
   -> Access API and other development documentation.

5) Experienced Linux developer who wants to get started with GNOME.

   Tasks for this user:

   -> Learn what GNOME is.
   -> Learn about the advantages of the GNOME development platform.
   -> Quick and simple download instructions.
   -> Access developer tutorials.
   -> Access API and other development documentation.

6) Experienced GNOME developer.

   Tasks for this user:

   -> Access developer tutorials.
   -> Access API and other development documentation.
   -> Development news (changes, new versions of libs, roadmaps).

7) Company wanting to start using GNOME.

   Tasks for this user:

   -> Learn why GNOME is the best Unix desktop environment.
   -> Learn what industry leaders are supporting GNOME.
   -> Quick and simple download and install instructions.
   -> Figure out how to get software to perform specific tasks the company needs.
   -> Find resources for GNOME deployment in large enterprises.

8) ISV wanting to start working with GNOME.

   Tasks for this user:

   -> Learn why GNOME is the best Unix desktop environment.
   -> Learn what industry leaders are supporting GNOME.
   -> Learn about the GNOME foundation and how to join.
   -> Access and download development documentation for local use/intranets.

9) Journalist/other member of the press writing a story about GNOME.

   Tasks for this user:

	 -> Learn what free software is.
   -> Learn what GNOME is, and the project's history.
   -> Read GNOME project press releases and recent news.
   -> Learn about the roadmap and future plans of the GNOME project.
   -> Access a press kit with logos, quick descriptions, photos of the
      project leaders, etc.
   -> Find contact info of spokesmen and potential interview subjects.

I think there might be more, but these are the ones I came up with off the
top of my head. Note that there's a lot of information overlap here, and it's
possible that we shouldn't use this directly to organize the information, but
rather provide "role pages" that allow the user to describe himself, and then
present him with a page of links to information, tailored to his
self-described role.

Please add user types and tasks to this list.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Helix Code web monkey - joakim helixcode com - Radagast IRC
      FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer