Re: 2. Audience (was Re: Design document [Draft 1])

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 10:41:07PM -0600, Shawn T Amundson wrote:

> Again, I'd like to stress my belief that the website should feel
> like it is for desktop users and developers, not for press and
> big business.  I agree that it is important information and a very
> important group of people, but GNOME's *image* is more important.

> I suggest Press things be categorized under "Contact Us".  Perhaps
> on that page, have a link to the "Press Kit" pages.  This will not
> be too hard to find for the press.  The other portion, a overview
> of what GNOME is, should be on the homepage.  I suggest that someone
> could start writing some nice text for GNOME's front page which is
> interesting and pulls you into various areas of the project.

Having press as a top-level navigation category is a good idea, I think. It
doesn't skew the focus of the site significantly away from users and
developers, since there will be about 10 top level categories no matter what
we do. Since press stuff isn't just about contact, but also about a specific
type of information, it's very useful to put it all in one place.

> I am curious what specific things are targetted at Businesses and
> not just large groups of users (like Universities).

There are a couple of things. First of all, information on/marketing for the
foundation targetted towards businesses who might want to join the advisory
board. Secondly, Red Hat have asked me in the past about a place to put
information for ISVs who are considering porting their applications to GNOME
(and have volunteered to produce that information).

> I suggest the following top level navigation:
>
> |               | The Desktop | Download | Development | News | Contact Us |
> |---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | (Contents Bar)|
> | .....         |
> | .....         |
> | .....         |
> | .....         |
> | .....         |
> |---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> |                              Webmaster | Legal

> Here is what would go in each section:

>   The Desktop - All information for the User and non-coding Contributor (www.gnome.org)
>   Download - Information on downloading GNOME and GNOME Applications (www.gnome.org/download/)
>   Development - For the developer (developer.gnome.org)
>   News - News about GNOME (news.gnome.org)
>   Contact Us - All contact info, press kit, etc. (www.gnome.org/contact_us/)

> Everything else would be in the sidebar under one of these categories.

These categories seem very broad to me. Specifically "The Desktop" would have
around 10 subcategories, while "Download" would hardly have any. If
"Download" is a top-level category, why isn't "Screenshots"? They're both
things people do a lot, and are likely to do immediately.

I think the navigational structure needs more thinking.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Helix Code web monkey - joakim helixcode com - Radagast IRC
      FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer