Re: 2. Audience (was Re: Design document [Draft 1])

On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 02:44:12PM +0100, Tomas V.V.Cox wrote:

> > I think one of the main goals should be the issue of integrating new
> > members of the GNOME community.  What I mean by this is encouraging
> > people to get involved in improving GNOME.  The best way to accelerate
> > the rate of improvement of GNOME is to get more people involved.
> >

> Perhaps we can do an user oriented navigation structure.
>
> |               | Desktop users | Developers | Press | Bussiness |
> |-----------------------------------------------------------------
> | (Contents Bar)|
> | What is Gnome |
> | other         |
> | other         |
> | other         |
> | other         |

Again, I'd like to stress my belief that the website should feel
like it is for desktop users and developers, not for press and
big business.  I agree that it is important information and a very
important group of people, but GNOME's *image* is more important.

I suggest Press things be categorized under "Contact Us".  Perhaps
on that page, have a link to the "Press Kit" pages.  This will not
be too hard to find for the press.  The other portion, a overview
of what GNOME is, should be on the homepage.  I suggest that someone
could start writing some nice text for GNOME's front page which is
interesting and pulls you into various areas of the project.

I am curious what specific things are targetted at Businesses and
not just large groups of users (like Universities).

I suggest the following top level navigation:

|               | The Desktop | Download | Development | News | Contact Us |
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------
| (Contents Bar)|
| .....         |
| .....         |
| .....         |
| .....         |
| .....         |
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------
|                              Webmaster | Legal

Here is what would go in each section:

  The Desktop - All information for the User and non-coding Contributor (www.gnome.org)
  Download - Information on downloading GNOME and GNOME Applications (www.gnome.org/download/)
  Development - For the developer (developer.gnome.org)
  News - News about GNOME (news.gnome.org)
  Contact Us - All contact info, press kit, etc. (www.gnome.org/contact_us/)

Everything else would be in the sidebar under one of these categories.

-Shawn

--
Shawn T. Amundson                       amundson eventloop com
Research and Development                http://www.eventloop.com/

"The assumption that the universe looks the same in every
 direction is clearly not true in reality." - Stephen Hawking