Re: [patch] new cdda module

fre 2005-08-26 klockan 16:09 +0200 skrev Martin Schön:
> Am Freitag, den 26.08.2005, 15:59 +0200 schrieb Mattias Eriksson:
> > I agree with Alex that using copying as ripping is not a good solution
> > in the common case, for the reasons he mentions. However, there is a
> > specific case where it actually would make sense: when the user are
> > copying files to a portable music player. In this case it would be
> > really cool if gnome-vfs just made a check to see if the music format
> > is suported (by asking hal) and convert it if needed.
> > In this case it is possible to use sane defaults and make things just
> > work!
> >
> > //Snaggen
>
> Nice idea, but not easy to do. For example, my portable player has
> several
> subdirectories. One is for music (only mp3, wav, ogg and
> winamp-playlists
> make sense), another one for firmware and the third one for any kind of
> data (just for
> storage). I'm sure a lot of vendors do similar things. Implementing this
> for
> every device on the market is a huge task.

Does it really have to be that complex?
Hal got all the information about what music formats a device supports.
Why not just ignore where on the device the files are copied (we must
assume the users have some basic clue about how their players work).
Then in the case where user copies a known music format that the player
doesn't support we tell the user about this and ask if we should change
the music format so that it fits the player?

This way the user still may place music in the wrong folders. But if
users really want to have the music there who are we to prevent them ;-)

//Snaggen