Re: [patch] new cdda module

Am Mittwoch, den 24.08.2005, 18:19 +0200 schrieb Alexander Larsson:
> I think a setup where clicking on the audio cd brings up a cd player is
> more intuitive than one that shows a list of mp3 files. The main
> operation with an audio cd is playing it. Then, hopefully the cd player
> app should make it mega-easy to rip the songs, possibly by having the cd
> player itself be s-j or something like that.
>
> The use of cdda sort of forces the default operation for an audio cd to
> be "open a window with files so that you can rip the files", which is
> not ideal imho.

The autoplay function should of course start a cd player (though in my
opinion
rhythmbox, maybe with an "add this album to your collection?"-popup
would be best).

But there are many people who switch off autoplay because they don't
trust it (think of
windows starting an executable on the cd) or are simply annoyed by
windows popping
up when inserting a cd. What about them? Of course there is still the
option in the cd
player which is not intuitive in this case ("Why do I have to start a
PLAYER if I want to
COPY a song?!") and the cd ripper in the gnome main menu. But let's face
it: people do not
look there if they have an idea about how to do what they want. They
will first try to open
the cd in the file manager, get frustrated because it doesn't work and
then search the menus for
something that could help. And even if we make the player the default
action for opening, at
first most people will close the window without really looking at it
(and thus not finding
the rip option) because they think "Duh, a player. But I want to copy
songs. Go away."

Maybe the cd icon in computer:// could have a "play" and an "open"
menuitem. "Play" could
even be the default, but "open" should be there.

As I said, its fine with me to make it a separate module to avoid the
dependency issue.

> What is missing? You need to get the gnome-vfs-module-2.0 pkg-config
> module of course.

uh, my fault. sorry, I just looked for gnome-vfs and somehow missed the
gnome-vfs-module thing. thx.