Re: [patch] new cdda module

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 02:56 +0200, Martin Schön wrote:
> Greetings, everyone.
> Beeing rather unhappy with the current cdda module (and I have the
> feeling I'm not alone with this) I wrote a complete replacement. This
> one is gstreamer-based (is this a problem, concerning dependencies?) and
> has the following features:
>
> - extracts not only wave, but also mp3/ogg/flac files (if supported by
> your gstreamer installation)
> - metadata lookup via musicbrainz
> - thread safe, usable with several drives at the same time
> - temporary renaming of files
>
> I know there's currently a freeze, so I don't expect it to go into the
> next release, but I'd like to have some feedback on it. Is it worth
> including, and is the gstreamer dependency a problem? Any comments on
> the implementation? (And could someone verify my changes to the
> configure.in/Makefile.am files? I'm not very familiar with this).

In general i think the cdda backend is pretty silly. I'm not sure how
normal users will find it useful. Which is why we disabled the old one
by default and handle cdda:/// uris by launching a cd player.

For actual ripping of songs, an app like sound-juicer seems much better
to me, its easier to understand and you need to do less manual work
(just click one button and it rips to your collection). All a cdda://
backend does is pretend like these are normal files. I mean, they take
far longer to read than real files, and things like seeking in them
isn't really workable.

For a feature of such a limited use (imho) I think adding a gstreamer
dependency is a problem. I mean, we're already having problems with apps
like the gimp not using gnome-vfs due to its orbit/bonobo dependency.
Being able to load vfs files with the gimp is clearly more important
than a cdda backend.

He's a jaded arachnophobic shaman with a winning smile and a way with the
ladies. She's a plucky goth lawyer operating on the wrong side of the law.
They fight crime!