Re: Divergences between ubuntu-l10n and gnome-i18n regarding en_GB

Thomas Wood wrote:
> Toby Smithe wrote:
>>
>> Peter Oliver wrote:

>>> Looks like you're already settled this, and I'm not trying to re-open
>>> the debate, but I always liked the sound of "Dustbin", myself.
>>>

>> Yeah; the debate on the Ubuntu team list was pretty lengthy, and the
>> poll which ended it did pretty much decide on "Deleted Items".

>>> Not really.  Since "Trash" and "Wastebasket" refer to the container, and
>>> "Deleted Items" refers to the contents, sentences such as "Empty Deleted
>>> Items" won't make sense any more.  You need to "Erase deleted items" or
>>> similar.
>>>

>> Uhuh! We use "Deleted Items" and "[Move to] Deleted Items Folder", so
>> that the system still works.
>>

>> Nonetheless, I was mainly trying to discover the GNOME policy on
>> divergences downstream, and what we at Ubuntu should do about it. Any
>> pointers? Or does GNOME not care?
> I think any divergences downstream are a bad thing. For a project like
> GNOME especially, it will cause problems for people trying out different
> distributions. Not to mention that it will cause extra work for you if
> you don't liaise with upstream and find a common approach.

I think I agree. In fact, I do agree. We need some kind of liaison.

> Personally I think "Deleted Items" is a bad translation of "Trash".

Which is why we use "Deleted Items Folder" when we need a singular noun.

> As pointed out, "Trash" is used to refer to a container, where as "Deleted
> Items" refers to contents. If the developers had wanted it to be called
> it "Deleted Items", then they would have done. The en_GB translation
> should not be changing the meanings of words, but simply replacing
> Americanisms with more English equivalents.

And that's what we try to do. We had many British equivalents on the
poll, and "Deleted Items [Folder]" won by majority vote. If the Britons
chose that, then surely it's more British than a choice (hmm, well this
wouldn't really be a choice...) forced upon them?