Re: More translation stuff

On Saturday 04 November 2006 19:21, Alex Hudson <home alexhudson com> wrote:
> Out of interest, why is Ubuntu attempting to make the en_GB translation
> less relevant to GB? Is this simply a desire for non-American
> International English plus limited manpower?

At this stage, yes. As mentioned in my previous message, we have a two-stage
plan towards having regional translations of English in Ubuntu[1]. We are
currently in the first stage, which requires a generalisation of en_GB into a
Commonwealth translation. We are waiting for Ubuntu's Rosetta tool to develop
Similar Languages support[2] before we move onto the second stage. This
involves multiple English translations being treated as 'Similar Languages',
feeding off the main en_GB trunk (to greatly decrease duplication of effort).
In this stage the main en_GB translation can revert to being more
UK-specific.

[1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.translators.en/529
[2] https://features.launchpad.net/products/rosetta/+spec/similar-languages/

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://www.dhanapalan.com/yama.asc

Need to fork out $$$ for the next software upgrade? Break the cycle!
http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net