Re: More translation stuff

On Saturday 04 November 2006 08:21, Alex Hudson wrote:

> Taking "region" over "county" as a translation for "State/Province" is
> a poorer translation for a UK-native, though.

(I've taken the liberty of correcting, I hope, "country" to "county".)

This discussion illustrates the lack we have in this country of a single
word to describe the next level of local-government organisation above
Town. The situation was simple once: a town was to be found in a county,
which was in a country. Now we have Metropolitan and Unitary authorities to
confuse the picture, not to mention regional development authorities etc,
and as Alex says, regions are something else again.

The Royal Mail doesn't even use counties any more: only post towns and post
codes (besides the street address, of course, and perhaps a village name).
If this is the Brave New World, I'd rather live in the old. Far less
confusing.

--
Rgds
Peter