Re: More translation stuff

On Tuesday 31 October 2006 18:06, "David Lodge" <dave cirt net> wrote:
> Yet more questions about i18n... As part of the recent translations (of
> gnome-applets) I changed the translation of the "About me..." dialogue to
> read "County" instead of "State/Province" as I thought it represented the
> GB perspective better...
>
> Since then there has been some discussion on the Ubuntu list which makes
> me wonder whether "County" is the best for all locales that use en_GB,
> including the fact that KDE uses "Region".
>
> Would "Region" be a better translation?

This discussion originated on the ubuntu-l10n-eng list[1]. We recognise that
our project's aim is probably different from the goals of the GNOME en_GB
effort. The Ubuntu en_GB team is trying to make its translation accessible to
the majority of Commonwealth citizens as part of a two-stage process towards
having regional English translations dependent on a main en_GB trunk[2].

It has been noted that the terminology used for political subdivisions tends
to vary across the Commonwealth. This is true even within the United
Kingdom[3]. The KDE en_GB team appears to have recognised this, and has
adopted the generic 'Region' descriptor[4].

[1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.translators.en/522
[2] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.translators.en/529
[3]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-l10n-eng/2006-November/000547.html
[4] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.bugs.general/98324

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://www.dhanapalan.com/yama.asc

"Let's sell these people a piece of blue sky." - L. Ron Hubbard