Re: [gnome-slackware]Re: Hello!

> > 2) use garnome which I'm looking at at the moment.
> > This seems to be a build system that takes the tarballs, compile them and install them.
> > I don't know how much ppl use it, but the dependencies check could lay upon many ppl which is nice to.
> I think that dependacies are not the real problem, to build GNOME 2 your need some devel-tools, but they are needed only during build stage. We have to build GNOME2 packages in right order and that is it :-) - and then installpkg *.tgz and we have all we need.
>
> 3) In my opinion we should use simple SlackBuild's (compilation,
> strippping binaries, packaging) for building each package and some
> supporting scripts for building packages in right order, installing,
> removing, downloading and so on. Simplicity in the first place :-) And
> one more thing, this simple system works (error handling needs
> improvement), I've released two alpha versions (unofficial) of GNOME 2
> based on this. You will always need to check content of each package
> manually (QA :-)...

well, if we create a new rule (say slackwarebuild), garnome will build
ours modules with slackbuild and just care about downloading the things
in the right order, dealing with the errors and so on.
It may be a good idea to plug your compilation script there igor.
The other parts as keeping things in the right order, taking changes
into account and so on would be shared with other gnome developers so it
will be keept up to date with minimal effort (I'm a lazy man)
Tell me what you think of it.

Garnome is basically a set of makefiles.

http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/garnome/

I'm speaking with jdub about adding a rule and it seems pretty simple.

PS.: jhbuild requires too much hack to be used so it seems pretty out
although I still loves it to build cvs ;)

> Igor
MCArkan

--
 Xavier Ordoquy, Aurora-linux
 "The software said 'runs on Win95 or better,' so I installed it on