[gnome-slackware]Re: Hello!

W liście z nie, 17-02-2002, godz. 11:01, xavier ordoquy pisze:
> This is a good question.
> I have here adsl connection and slackware 8.0 out of the box. I guess I may build them here and then upload them.
I have slack 8.0 and 2mb connection, but it's in Poland so it can be slow for the rest of the world... GNOME 2 alpha 2 was about 100MB - binaries are not stripped
> Right, all of us ? ;)
right :-)

> 2) use garnome which I'm looking at at the moment.
> This seems to be a build system that takes the tarballs, compile them and install them.
> I don't know how much ppl use it, but the dependencies check could lay upon many ppl which is nice to.
I think that dependacies are not the real problem, to build GNOME 2 your need some devel-tools, but they are needed only during build stage. We have to build GNOME2 packages in right order and that is it :-) - and then installpkg *.tgz and we have all we need.

3) In my opinion we should use simple SlackBuild's (compilation,
strippping binaries, packaging) for building each package and some
supporting scripts for building packages in right order, installing,
removing, downloading and so on. Simplicity in the first place :-) And
one more thing, this simple system works (error handling needs
improvement), I've released two alpha versions (unofficial) of GNOME 2
based on this. You will always need to check content of each package
manually (QA :-)...

Igor

P.S. I will take a look at garnome and the other one ...

--
:: Igor Popik, THrull ircnet
:: http://www.netkrab.com, http://gadu.gnu.pl