Re: No application or applet icons in gmome-shell-3.10.3

hi;

there's seem to be a problem here.

On 30 March 2014 04:47, John Frankish <j-frankish slb com> wrote:

I thought various applet icons - network-manager-applet, Bluetooth, weather, etc, were meant to appear in
the top panel? All I have is a sound icon and the icon to switch the machine off (which doesn't work).

if you have the sound icon and a "turn the machine off" button then
you're not running GNOME Shell. it almost looks like you're running
the old "GNOME Classic" session shipped by Ubuntu 12.04.

on top of that:

I'm using gnome-shell on a simple linux system having compiling the
various components from source.

is usually a recipe for troubles. why are you not using your
distribution's packages? are you using something like Linux From
Scratch?

If the gnome-tweak-tool is required to obtain desktop application icons, how are users supposed to launch
applications? The only method I have available is <alt-F2> to bring up a command line to launch
applications.

no, the tweak tool is "needed" to get Nautilus to show the contents of
the Desktop folder on your desktop. the applications are available if
you go in the Activities overview.

you probably want to check the help:
https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/

ciao,