Re: No application or applet icons in gmome-shell-3.10.3

--
(o_
//\  Regards, Groeten,

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 03:47:36 +0000
John Frankish <j-frankish slb com> wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Just to be sure I understood:

I thought various applet icons - network-manager-applet, Bluetooth,
weather, etc, were meant to appear in the top panel? All I have is a
sound icon and the icon to switch the machine off (which doesn't
work).
Most of these on the right top come automatically when the module that
represents it, is working, it's a notification area.
Weather on the top panel is a seperate extension that you need to
install.
What I tried to explain is that most Gnome 2 like functionality is only
possible by installing an extension.
To install extensions by hand (if you lack the instruments to do from
firefox) is to copy the folder from the etension zip file into
~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions directory

If the gnome-tweak-tool is required to obtain desktop application
icons, how are users supposed to launch applications? The only method
I have available is <alt-F2> to bring up a command line to launch
applications.
Gnome-tweak-tool is used to show icons on your desktop like the home
folder and the trashcan and any *.desktop file you put there yourself.
When you enable that it's a look into the desktop directory the same way
as in nautilus.

John

Just keep asking in here, bit by bit you will get all the explanations
that you need.