Re: UI Freezes in gnome shell, usually when playing video ?

Hi Stuart,

Your computer problems remind me of my own from years ago, I had such
stablity problems with large stuff like movies, compiling stuff and
other longer term applications.

In the end it came down to having a bad memory stick, it was not bad
enough to get obvious noticed during normal use, but when doing the big
stuff (using lot of memory) it became noticable.

I suggest, even if it was to make sure that there is no problem with
that, to fire up your PC with a CD containing memtest86, it's a slow
and long process, but it needs to be done only once.
If you get errors from that, you need to replace your RAM.

As for GDM, in my experience it's rather unstable throughout time, I
rather use KDM for that.

My current distro is Mageia, I started way back with Mandrake and later
Mandriva up until the dreaded 2011 distro and stupid management drove
me to the wonderful community driven Mageia which has the most talented
people from the Mandrake/Mandriva era.

As for Gnome-Shell, I wasn't too impressed at first, being used to the
2 series of Gnome, but since I made my own extension and during time,
the last versions grew on me and I start to like it.
I like gnome for it's minimalism and more important for it's VFS, it
does not distract me from my real jobs like other desktop environments
do.

Success!

--
(o_
//\  Regards, Groeten,

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 13:37:28 -0700 (PDT)