Re: AppMenu design feedback

On Sun, 2013-03-10 at 10:08 +0100, Donato Marrazzo wrote:
In Files app, there is an "engine wheel" in the top right corner,
where some options have place, and even there is an arrow button near
the engine wheel with other option: so you have to remember which
actions are in the AppMenu, in the engine wheel and in the arrow
button.

The Files / Nautilus application in GNOME Shell is certainly the most
confusing.  I'm a system and network administrator for 25+ years... I
have no idea what that gear icon / drop-down menu is supposed to mean.
In most apps I don't have any real issues with the menus -  Files /
Nautilus is currently a mess.

The other problem with AppMenu is that iit's far from the window
content so it requires a long trip for the mouse.
But we already discuss these concerns in the list and almost everybody
agreed that the AppMenu requires a deep redesign.

I'm not sure what a "deep redesign" is; but, for the record, I'm certain
I would not agree with that.  The intent of the AppMenu seems quite
clear and it works just fine in current versions even with
focus-follows-mouse.  It needs some polish, and some consistency across
applications [which, really, is up to the applications to do].  I do not
see any "deep" problems.  Mostly, it just seems a bit arbitrary;  but
that is not surprising, categorization is actually really hard.  What is
obvious to one is oblivious to another;  that doesn't give either side a
moral high-ground [and it is really JUST A @*$&*@ MENU AFTER ALL].  It
will probably settle down to a defacto standard given time.

--
Adam Tauno Williams  GPG D95ED383