Re: How do I use global.display.add_keybinding?

I've successfully set up a "hello world" style extension that responds
to a keybinding, thanks in part to the docs posted here, and also to
some code I found in the "brightness control" extension[1].

I can create a GSettings schema that has a default key for my
extension to bind, like so:

    <key type="as" name="showhw">
        <default>
            <![CDATA[['<Alt>x']]]>
        </default>
        <summary>
            The keyboard shortcut to show "Hello World"
        </summary>
    </key>

That works fine. But if I change "<Alt>x" to just "<Alt>", I get the
following message in .xsession-errors:

    Window manager warning: "<Alt>" found in configuration database is
not a valid value for keybinding "showhw"

Binding to Alt might be intrusive if unexpected, but if a user wanted
such a thing, how would it be possible?

(I can't really search the web for this, since it's a very common
error message for users to see.)

â Jason

[1] http://gitorious.org/gnome-shell-brightness-extension/gnome-shell-brightness-extension/trees/master/brightness_control lmedinas org