Re: How do I use global.display.add_keybinding?

On 5 February 2013 09:02, Jason Heeris <jason heeris gmail com> wrote:
Alan Knowles - Thanks for that, it looks very useful.

On 3 February 2013 21:33, Jasper St. Pierre <jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:
> You can find some (albiet limited) documentation for the Shell toolkit here:
>
> http://developer.gnome.org/shell/unstable/

I notice that the docs for ShellGlobal don't specify any signals or
properties - is that by design (as in, they shouldn't be used) or is
it an accidental omission?

I don't think ShellGlobal has any signals which is why they're not specified.
Most the signals are attached to objects *in* ShellGlobal. For example, `global.display` is a `Meta.Display` so you have to check out the Mutter documentation for what signals it has.

As to why the properties are not specified, I'm not sure - perhaps you're meant to use `global.get_display()` rather than `global.display` etc??

(BTW, you can do

    g-ir-doc-tool /usr/lib/mutter/Meta-3.0.gir -o /path/to/some/folder

to generate the documentation for mutter in that folder. Then do

    yelp /path/to/that/folder

to look at it in a help browser.

If it complains "Couldn't find include 'XYZ.gir'", then you have to generate that gir via

    g-ir-generate /usr/lib/girepository-1.0/XYZ.typelib > /usr/share/gir-1.0/XYZ.gir

before running g-ir-doc-tool on Meta-3.0.gir again. At some point I had a plan to generate the documentation and put it somewhere online for convenience until the "new documentation system" is up and running, but I guess I forgot about it...

Unfortunately g-ir-doc-tool seems to crash when I try to do the same on Shell-0.1.gir.)

> Note that there is currently work on a new documentation system that can
> generate native JS documentation instead of C

I eagerly await such a thing :)

- Jason