Re: Looking for a source of a string in unlock screen

On Sun, 2012-09-16 at 11:33 -0400, Norman L. Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-09-16 at 11:44 +0700, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Jasper St. Pierre
> > <jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:

> > > It comes from PAM, yes.
> >
> > Thanks. Then the next question: why is it not translated when that
> > string exists in Linux-PAM.mo? Does it have anything to do with locale
> > setting?
>
> Hello:
>
> The following may be of interest:
>
> I used the Region and Language section of System Settings to change my
> language to Spanish.  As instructed under the System tab I used "Copy
> Settings" to change my settings for the System to Spanish.  I rebooted
> and the Login dialog continued to display "Password:".  I changed the
> setting in /etc/sysconfig/i18n to LANG="es_ES.utf8".  When I rebooted it
> had become Contraseña: as it should be in Spanish.  In the Region and
> Language setup of System Settings I changed the language back to US
> English and left the file i18n set to Spanish.  When I rebooted
> Password: was Contraseña: as I had suspected it would be. I am using
> Fedora 17 with Gnome Shell 3.4.1 on the system I used for testing. It
> looks like the System Settings are not actually changing the system
> language.  It appears PAM is getting its setting from i18n.
>
> Regards,
>
> Norman

Hello:

I continued testing and found that the unlock screen gets its language
from apparently the System Setting Region and Language setup.  When I
locked the screen and then brought up the unlock dialog it read
Password: if the system settings are set to English and the i18n is set
to Spanish.  I set the system settings to Spanish and left the i18n set
to Spanish and both login and unlock dialogs read Contraseña: instead of
Password: ....

Hope this is of use.

Norman