Re: Looking for a source of a string in unlock screen

On Sun, 2012-09-16 at 11:44 +0700, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Jasper St. Pierre
> <jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 12:32 AM, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy
> > <pclouds gmail com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Do you know where the string "Password:" comes from? I highly suspect
> >> it's from PAM, but pam is already translated in my system, including
> >> that string.. unless pam is not put in vi_VN locale when it's called..
> >
> > It comes from PAM, yes.
>
> Thanks. Then the next question: why is it not translated when that
> string exists in Linux-PAM.mo? Does it have anything to do with locale
> setting?

Hello:

The following may be of interest:

I used the Region and Language section of System Settings to change my
language to Spanish.  As instructed under the System tab I used "Copy
Settings" to change my settings for the System to Spanish.  I rebooted
and the Login dialog continued to display "Password:".  I changed the
setting in /etc/sysconfig/i18n to LANG="es_ES.utf8".  When I rebooted it
had become Contraseña: as it should be in Spanish.  In the Region and
Language setup of System Settings I changed the language back to US
English and left the file i18n set to Spanish.  When I rebooted
Password: was Contraseña: as I had suspected it would be. I am using
Fedora 17 with Gnome Shell 3.4.1 on the system I used for testing. It
looks like the System Settings are not actually changing the system
language.  It appears PAM is getting its setting from i18n.

Regards,

Norman